Despite legislation to protect them against discrimination, at least one-third of the 1.7 million gay workers in the UK still feel unable to be open about their sexual orientation at work  and almost 70% of lesbian and gay employees claim to have experienced anti-gay harassment in the workplace .
There are over three million gay people in Britain, so every business will undoubtedly have gay staff, suppliers or customers. This course not only helps businesses avoiding damaging and costly tribunals, it will enable them to build a more tolerant, supportive workplace and a reputation as a fair and inclusive employer.
 Stonewall, Workplace Equality Index 2008
 Stonewall, statistic taken from the course itself.
Produced in association with Stonewall, the UK's leading lesbian and gay equality organisation, this course will help you to understand the challenges faced by gay people at work and enable you to play your part in creating an inclusive work environment where everyone feels supported, regardless of their sexuality.
Featuring dramatised case studies based on real-life experiences, the course explores a comprehensive range of sexual orientation issues, from your responsibilities to prevent direct and indirect discrimination under the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003 to the risks associated with ‘coming out' in the workplace.
As you work through the course, you'll be presented with simple exercises to check your learning. Detailed checklists can be printed off and kept for future reference and an Assessment Quiz at the end of the course lets you gauge how well you have understood all the issues.
You can start the course straight away and access it at any time, providing you have the use of a computer with an internet connection. The course takes approximately 1 hour 30 minutes to complete and you do not have to complete the entire course in a single session. If you do choose to take a break during the course, you will be able to return to the point you left your learning the next time you login. The course is available for six months from the date first accessed.
What will you get from this Course?
When you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- Understand what types of behaviour could be classed as unlawful harassment on the basis of sexual orientation
- Recognise the difference between harmless workplace conversation and inappropriate behaviour
- Understand what is meant by ‘homophobia'
- Understand that inappropriate behaviour has a negative effect on individuals, teams and organisations
- Take appropriate action to overcome harassment in the workplace, whether you are the target of such behaviour or the colleague or manager of a person being harassed
- Ensure your recruitment policies comply with the law
Duration: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
£29.99 + vat